|Serving Size||1/12 of cake|
|Calories from Fat||20|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||45 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
|Vitamin A||2% DV|
|Vitamin C||25% DV|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Servings and Times
|Preparation Time||2 hours|
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 1.0
Ingredients and Preparation
|Unsweetened cocoa||½ cup + 2 teaspoons|
|All-purpose flour||1 cup|
|Baking soda||½ teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1¼ cups|
|Fat-free milk||1 cup|
|Unsweetened chocolate, melted||1 ounce|
|Vanilla extract||1½ teaspoons|
|Large egg whites||4 |
|Seedless raspberry jam||¼ cup|
|Confectionary sugar||1 tablespoon|
|Fresh raspberries||3 pints|
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch round cake pan with vegetable cooking spray. Coat bottom and sides with 2 teaspoons of cocoa.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- Combine milk and remaining ½ cup cocoa in a small saucepan. Whisk over medium heat for 5 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and whisk in melted chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Whisk cocoa mixture into dry ingredients until blended.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar.
- Gradually increase speed to medium-high, and beat to stiff peaks. Gently fold one-third of egg whites into chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula. Then fold in remaining whites just until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes.
- Invert cake onto a plate. Invert again onto wire rack and cool completely.
- Split cake into two layers. Remove top layer. Place bottom layer on serving plate.
- Spread jam over bottom layer; place top layer over jam, cut side down.
- Garnish with ½ cup fresh raspberries per serving.
- Sift with confectioners’ sugar over top.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 0; Meat: 0; Milk: 0; Fat: 0; Carbs: 2; Other: 0
Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. Exchanges are rounded up or down to equal whole numbers.
Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.